Rhodes loves Memphis. We now offer a scholarship for Memphis students who share our passion.
Clarence Day was committed to excellence, service to others, and to his hometown of Memphis. We are seeking outstanding applicants from Memphis and Shelby County who have the potential to become future leaders in Memphis. Each year, we select 10 incoming first-year students who have already demonstrated a passion for this city but want to continue to make a difference here. If selected as a Day Scholar, students will have opportunities to participate in campus and community events related to the Day Foundation and Memphis leadership initiatives in addition to the generous scholarship benefits listed below.
What benefits will I receive as a Day Scholar?
- Scholarship of $35,000* per year
- Up to $5,000 of funding to be used toward a one-time fellowship or project that aligns with the goals of the Day Scholars Program. All fellowships and projects will have a Memphis focus and be consistent with the college's engagement efforts in the city. Examples could include:
- Participation in established Rhodes summer programs such as the Rhodes Institute for Regional Studies, Summer Service Fellowship, or through Summer Fellowships conducted with faculty mentors (students must be accepted into these programs)
- Participation in fellowships conducted during the academic year through programs such as the Memphis Center, Mike Curb Institute for Music, Crossroads to Freedom, or through approved fellowships with faculty mentors
- Individual or group projects developed and implemented through the Day Scholars program, and approved by the director of the program
- A four-year program of personal development, reflection, and civic engagement
- Commitment to meet financial need (if any) up to our direct costs with gift aid and student employment
How do I qualify?
Requirements for Day Scholarship:
- Students must attend high school in Memphis City or Shelby County
- Application for admission to Rhodes submitted by January 15
- Day Application due by February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
- CSS PROFILE and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted by January 15
- SAT or ACT scores that are competitive for admission (submission of test scores is optional)
- A high school record that is competitive for admission
- Strong record of involvement in both the Memphis community and the school community
- All students who meet these requirements will automatically be considered for the Day Scholarship.
Complete the Day Scholarship Application online by February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Funding for this program is provided by the Day Foundation.
*Please note that the Day Scholarship, as with all scholarships, may have to be reduced if you receive awards from outside sources that in combination exceed the cost of attendance.