There is nothing more important than supporting the safety of our community. Rhodes continually works to bolster our safety infrastructure both on and off campus to keep our students, faculty, and staff safe.
Resources you should be aware of if you live off campus:
- Memphis Police Patrols: The Memphis Police Department (MPD) patrols the area adjacent to campus where many students, faculty, and staff reside. Most of the area is patrolled by the Crump Station (901-636-4600). For emergencies, call 911. For non-emergencies, call 901-545-2677.
- Memphis Crime Data: For information on crimes reported near your house or rental, check https://data.memphistn.gov/ Click on Public Safety.
- Rhodes Campus Safety: Rhodes campus safety officers do not have jurisdiction to patrol off campus. They also cannot respond to calls for service, crimes, loud noises, or other disturbances. Call the Memphis Police Department if you need assistance.
- Street Lighting: If you find streetlights out on your off-campus street, you can complete a work order at https://www.mlgw.com/residential/streetlightoutage
- Service Requests (missed garbage collection, a pothole, code violations) Report them to 311 by calling 3-1-1 or visiting 311 online using the Memphis 311 app on your Smartphone.
- Memphis Light, Gas & Water (MLGW): Power outages can be found at https://www.mlgw.com/residential/outagemap
- Landlord or Property Owner: Working with your landlord or property owner may be the most important step in crime prevention off campus. Discuss with them: lawn and bush trimming, house lighting, strong window locks, and door deadbolts. An alarm system and cameras are also great investments in living off campus safely.
- Car Safety Off Campus: Stow it, don’t show it. Lock your car doors and park in a well-lit area, carport, or garage when possible. Don’t leave your car running or leave your keys in your car.