We are committed to providing students with opportunities to study abroad.
- For students who wish to travel and study during the summer months, there are several options:
- We have designed GRS 305, a travel-study course that takes students abroad during the "Maymester," which begins the week after graduation in mid-May and goes through the first two weeks of June.
- Latin 232 takes students to Rome, where participants study the ancient texts in their historical and cultural contexts.
- Undergraduates may also study the archaeology of Greece during the Summer Sessions of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, of which Rhodes is a member institution.
- Rhodes is one of twelve institutions that sponsor the Kenchreai Excavations. This site is the port of ancient Corinth on the Saronic Gulf. For six weeks, at least two students from Rhodes participate in the field school under the direction of Professor Joe Rife from Vanderbilt University.
- For students who prefer a semester-long program, options include:
- Rhodes participates in consortial initiatives in Italy, Greece, and Turkey. Students from regularly study at the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome, which offers semester-long programs in the fall and spring.
- Students also attend College Year in Athens, which offers instruction in languages (ancient and modern Greek and Latin), philosophy, ethnography, history, and art and archaeology, political science, and religion.
- Through the Associated Colleges of the South, students may also participate in the Global Partners study program in Turkey. Students spend part of the semester in Istanbul for instruction in Turkish and the history and culture of Turkey. After their stay in Istanbul, students will relocate to Ankara where they will take two or three courses at Bilkent University or Middle East Technical University.
Search for programs in Greek and Roman Studies in Rhodes’ Online Portal for Off-Campus Study, and then speak with a Study Abroad Advisor in an Advising Session about your many options.