The working group will:
- Review current student policies related to expressive speech, harassment, and the use of social media.
- Review the ways these policies function in relation to our institutional statements of value and mission, including our honor code, our statement on diversity, our social regulation code, and our vision statement.
- Review the ways we communicate expectations for both free speech and respectful dialogue.
- Review national debates and identify ways that other campuses have addressed these issues.
- Review national educational programs designed to encourage the development of the skills needed to foster genuine dialogue. Recommend two for the college to consider implementing. (Examples of relevant national programs include Openmind.org, Difficult Dialogues, Facing History, and Fearless Dialogues)
- Provide a written report to the president, including recommendations for positive change, by the end of the semester.
The working group will be co-chaired by José Rodriguez (Chief Information Officer) and Professor Amy Risley (International Studies). Members will include students (appointed by RSG), as well as faculty and staff.