Student Employment also includes off-campus jobs with nonprofit agencies.
These opportunities are limited to students who have applied for financial assistance and have been awarded a Federal Student Employment Award (FWS). The jobs are at off-campus sites and require that the students have transportation to and from their assigned jobs. Because students are required to provide transportation, the pay rate is $7.70/hr.
Students need to apply for financial assistance in order to seek qualification for the Federal Student Employment Program. Once qualified, students may view and apply for available positions with Rhodes partners such as Friends for Life, Memphis Literacy Council, The Leadership Academy, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and others.
What do I need to know about Community Service Work?
- The standard award is $2,000/year.
- Work is limited to 10-12 hours/week.
- You’ll be paid bi-weekly by Rhodes.
- Student Employment is defined as financial aid—your earnings are considered part of your overall financial aid package.
- Student employees are subject to tax laws and other employment regulations.
- Your actual earnings are contingent upon your job placement and hours worked, reported via regular employment procedures at Rhodes.
- Checks are issued to student employees.
- Student Employment may not defer payment of Rhodes fees.
- Federal Student Employment is limited to students who demonstrate financial need on the FAFSA.
- You’ll be required to complete the INS I-9 form and supply identification documents before beginning work. These documents must be supplied in person You must work with the Community Service Office to report your hours worked weekly.
Financial Aid Applications
FAFSA (Rhodes Title IV code: 003519)
All Financial Aid forms can be found on the Rhodes Express Download Forms webpage.