FAQs for Incoming Students

How are new students assigned to roommates and to rooms?

All new and transfer students are asked to complete the Housing Information Form available on-line and electronically sign the Housing Contract. Information provided on the Housing Information Form is used in roommate matching. Therefore, it is important that the student fill out the form honestly. If a student wishes to live with someone specific, all students must request one another on the Housing Information Form or contact the Residence Life Office. Forms should be completed by June 15th. Students can choose to live in Substance Free theme housing which is a commitment to not use alcohol, drugs, tobacco or other substances on the hall or come back under the influence. Students cannot request specific buildings or rooms. First-year students are housed in doubles, triples and quads.

When are room assignments emailed to new students?

Room assignments will be emailed out to students ′rhodes.edu′ address around July 24 for the fall semester.

What comes in the rooms?

The college provides each resident with a bed, mattress (twin x-long), dresser, desk, desk chair, and closet or wardrobe. Most rooms have phone lines and you may contract for long distance telephone service through the college. Students must provide their own phones. Furniture cannot be removed from the rooms, as there is limited storage.

Do I need to bring carpet?

Yes, if you wish to have carpet in your room.  All residence halls outside Stewart Hall have tile floors.

What size refrigerator can I bring?  

We permit refrigerators up to 33" high or 19" wide and only one refrigerator per room.

What should I bring?

Bed linens (twin x-long) and a pillow, towels, toiletries and something to carry them in, clothes and clothes hamper, computer, laundry basket or bag, laundry detergent, alarm clock, desk lamp, U.L. approved power strips with surge protectors, telephone, umbrella, coffee maker, posters for your wall, 3M command strips, shower shoes and a dry erase board. We encourage you to communicate with your roommate(s) about bringing larger items such as TV, microwave, iron board, carpet, stereo, gaming system, and refrigerator.

Are there things I should not bring?

For the health, safety and well-being of all, it is necessary that some items be restricted from possession or use in the housing facilities. The following items are not allowed:

  • Cooking appliances (hotplates, toaster ovens, table top grills, etc.)
  • Candles and incense
  • Halogen lamps or other upward-facing lamps with exposed bulbs.
  • Pets (other than fish)
  • Guns/knives or other items that can be considered weapons (this includes paint ball guns, BB guns and fire works)
  • Extension cords (only U.L. approved power strips are permitted)
  • Lofts

Where do I eat?

All students who live on campus are required to have a meal plan.  The main dining hall is located on the west side of campus. Students also have meal equivalency at the Lynx Lair located in the Bryan Campus Life Center.

Where do I do laundry?

Laundry facilities are located in each residential building or connected building. There is no additional cost for laundry as it is included in your housing fees.

Do I clean my own room or is there housekeeping?

All students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. The common areas (hallways, stairwells, bathrooms, social rooms etc.) are cleaned by housekeeping staff. *Students in West Village, Spann, Parkway and East Village are responsible for cleaning their own suites and restrooms.

Where can I receive my mail?

You will be assigned a campus mailbox. The mailboxes are located in the Burrow Hall. Look for your Rhodes Box number with your housing assignment. Your proper address is:
Your Name
Rhodes College Box #XXXX
2000 North Parkway
Memphis, TN 38112-1690

What if I get sick?

For medical emergencies (e.g. unconsciousness, cardiac arrest, seizures, head injuries, serious falls, or fractures, excessive bleeding) the victim or bystander should first call 911 emergency response system. Campus Safety (901-843-3333) and Residence Life Staff should be called immediately after 911. The Health Center Staff will also assist with emergencies during office hours. Campus Safety and Health Center staff members are certified in CPR and first aid and will render care until an ambulance arrives.

Can I live/stay in my room all year long?

The residence halls close for the semester break/winter break and for the summer. All halls remain open during fall, Thanksgiving, spring, and Easter breaks. Summer housing is available.

Can I smoke in my room?

Smoking is not permitted in the residence halls. Student who do smoke are encouraged to smoke at leaset 25 ft. from entrances and windows. E-Cigarettes are not permitted inside buildings. Benches and ashtrays are provided near most buildings.

Do I need property insurance?

The college does not provide coverage for personal belongings or automobiles. You should determine whether your homeowner or rental insurance covers these belongings, and then make any arrangements necessary for the insurance coverage. If you wish to purchase insurance, one company from which you may do so is National Student Services, Inc. Their website ishttp://nssinc.com/ or you may contact the Residence Life Office for a brochure.

Should I bring a car?   

About half of the first year students do bring a car but it is not necessary. Students are willing to share rides and help with trips to the grocery store or Target. First-year students who do bring a car to campus are required to register it and park it in the First-Year Parking lot located behind McCoy Theater.