The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows US institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.
For the 2020-2021 academic year, eligible students may receive up to $5000 in Yellow Ribbon, not to exceed cost of attendance when combined with other aid.
Yellow Ribbon Program Eligibility Requirements
Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate). Therefore, you may be eligible if you meet the following requirements:
- Served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months
- Honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
- Dependents eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on a veteran′s service under the eligibility criteria listed above
- Eligible students who have accepted admission (paid the deposit fee) or are already currently enrolled should notify the Office of Financial Aid of their eligibility and interest in participating.
- Eligible students should apply for benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
- Upon notification of acceptance by the VA, the student should forward his or her Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Financial Aid (see submission options below)
AWARD MATCHING & CONTINUED ELIGIBILITY
For the 2020-2021 academic year, eligible students may receive up to $5000 in Yellow Ribbon. Rhodes contribution is considered match if the student has already been awarded institutional scholarships and/or grants of the same or greater amount. Yellow Ribbon benefits are capped at the Cost of Attendance minus VA Benefits minus any other aid received excluding Federal student loans.
Awards will continue as long as the student has remaining VA/Yellow Ribbon eligibility, is enrolled full-time and in good standing, and maintains satisfactory academic progress. Participating students that withdraw from the College and are later readmitted will only be able to participate if space is available. Should a student lose his/her Yellow Ribbon Program eligibility and subsequently regain it, he/she must reapply for program participation.
To apply, students must submit their VA Certificate of Eligibility, which shows they are entitled to receive 100% of the benefits payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program to the Office of Financial Aid. Certificates of Eligibility may be faxed (901-843-3435), emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) or delivered in-person to Rhodes Express. Alternately, they may be mailed to:
Attn: Financial Aid
2000 North Parkway
Memphis, TN 38112
Questions or concerns related to the College′s Yellow Ribbon Program policy and procedures should be emailed to email@example.com.
Financial Aid Applications
FAFSA (Rhodes Title IV code: 003519)
All Financial Aid forms can be found on the Rhodes Express Download Forms webpage.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.