We work within in the Development Division, a division that secures resources for the college and cultivates relationships on behalf of the college. We are your partners in seeking external grant funding, communicating with funders, facilitating collaborations, and maintaining good relationships with funders, potential funders, and collaborators.
The earlier you let us know you are considering applying for a grant, the more help we can provide. The later in your process, the less time we have to be effective partners.
We can provide:
- Strategy sessions on how to secure grant funding for your program, project, or research.
- Research assistance on potential grant sources.
- Foundation and government agency contact.
- Contacts with community partners.
- Assistance getting signatures on the External Grant Approval Checklist (links to Box) from senior management (Provost, VP for Finance and Business Affairs, VP for Development).
- Grant and report submission on your behalf. We maintain the college’s registrations to apply for grants online through various federal portals (grants.gov, NSF Fastlane, NIH eRA Commons). We are Authorized Organizational Representatives who can sign, certify and submit applications and reports that require the institutional approval of the college.
- Communication with the funder on your behalf, when necessary, about application technicalities, administration questions, submission problems, reporting requirements, no-cost extensions, and other issues.
- Writing assistance for institutional sections of your grant. Here are links to the college vision statement, college history, and college description.
- Writing assistance for local community context (narrative description, Census data, college data/statistics, etc.).
- Resource documents that are often required supplements to a grant application (college’s 501(c)(3) letter, IRS form 990, audited financial statements, board of trustees list).
- Review of draft proposals for completeness, to help ensure that all questions are answered and the proposal is responsive to published review criteria.
- Proofreading and copy editing.
- Budget assistance. We will review your grant’s proposed budget and budget narrative/justification. We can help figure indirect costs and fringe benefits and correct problems that would slow down review and approval by the Finance Division.
- Assistance with drafting and obtaining needed letters of support.
- Subcontracts for grants with other institutions.
- Report submission and project tracking assistance.
- Grant management assistance.
- Training, either one-on-one or in group workshops offered by our staff. Also linkage to workshops given by funders and other agencies.
We want you to succeed. A grant won by you is a win for the college and us, too.