Rhodes - George Washington Medical School
This program is designed for students who have proven themselves academically and shown motivation to pursue a career in medicine in their first two years at Rhodes. Students must know early on that they would like to attend the George Washington University Medical School over all other medical schools.
Acceptance to this program would allow a sophomore to receive a conditional assurance of later admission to George Washington Medical School based on their record from high school and the first two years at Rhodes.
Qualified* Rhodes sophomores can apply for this program in their second term.
If accepted, and if they graduate from Rhodes with continued progress, accepted students will have the freedom to plan and develop their liberal arts studies in a more open way while preparing for medical school. Accepted students will not be required to take the MCAT, which allows their senior year for completion of medical school prerequisites and removes MCAT preparation and stress. This freedom can more easily facilitate foreign study, research, or service projects.
*Specific requirements for application during spring semester of sophomore year
- U.S. citizenship
- Full-time at Rhodes, with 60 hours completed at Rhodes by the end of the 2nd year
- Minimum SAT v,q = 1300 (650+650), or ACT of 28
- Completion of one year of chemistry and a year of biology or physics by the end of sophomore year
- Completion of either Intro. to Sociology or Foundations of Psychology by the end of sophomore year.
- 3.6 cumulative GPA and no grades below a B- in a science
- Medical experiences during first and sophomore year
- Rhodes program proposal (plans for remaining years at Rhodes)
- Selection of a non-science, non-math-CS major or minor
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from the Director of HPA and one from science faculty
- Review and recommendation by Rhodes Health Professions Advisory Committee
- Interview at GW May/June after sophomore year
*Specific continuation requirements for students accepted for early selection
- Completion of all prerequisites, including Biochemistry, Psychology, and Sociology
- Completion of four more semesters at Rhodes (This partnership is not an accelerated path to edical school.)
- Continued cumulative GPA 3.6 and no grades below a B- in any science
- Continued clean record re: academic and social regulations
- Continued health care experience and community service
- Faithful reporting to, and review, by Rhodes HPA each semester
- Graduation from Rhodes
- Application through AMCAS for early decision for GW Medical School for matriculation
in the year following graduation from Rhodes
- AP, IB, and transfer credit will be allowed on a case by case basis
- Students must take the MCAT by a certain date and earn a certain score, both determined by GW each year
- Prerequisite courses not taken at Rhodes must be approved first by GW
- All changes to accepted plan for junior and senior years must be approved by GW
- Requirements taken during spring semester of senior year must be approved by GW