Many students come to Rhodes with the intention of preparing for a career in medicine or another health profession (including veterinary medicine). Rhodes has a large commitment to this population and our HPA program. This commitment starts with special HPA programming the first days a student is on campus and continues throughout their time at Rhodes to help mentor and advise HPA students. Our commitment continues with our alumni who begin or continue Health Profession planning post graduation.
Most of our students are interested in pursuing medicine with a smaller number looking toward other health professions.
Rhodes students and alumni/ae interested in medicine or other health care professions can expect the following: Personal mentoring from the Director of Health Professions Advising (this is parallel to our regular academic advising and faculty mentoring).
- Regular programming throughout the year to allow exploration of career options and best advice on how to prepare and apply for medical school and other health profession programs.
- Opportunities to participate in health care experience with a myriad of community partners and local practitioners. These include the world class St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Baptist Memorial Health Care, Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, TheMED, The Church Health Center, and many others.
- Research for those interested is offered by our Professors, as well as many of our community partners, such as St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, In Motion Skeletal Muscular Research, and the Memphis Zoo and Aquarium.
- A well rounded liberal arts education with very strong sciences allows our students to learn and polish the quantitative, analytical, writing, and communication skills sought by most medical schools and health profession schools. Our strengths throughout our academic program at Rhodes allow students to pursue any major while working toward acceptance at most professional programs as well as allows for any change in plans while still keeping students in an appropriate and academically strong program.
- We work equally with all students and are not gate keepers. Our goal is to help students find the career and program where they will be happy and able to excel.
Rhodes students and alums attend private and state medical schools, throughout the country, including some of the finest, i.e., Baylor, Brown, Duke, Emory, Georgetown, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt and Washington University, and Yale. We offer the information and opportunities to allow our students to develop as caring community members, excellent scholars, and to become nationally competitive. Although in a smaller cohort at Rhodes, our students attend schools throughout the US for post graduate study for many health professions.