The goal of Rhodes College IMPACT Scholars Program is to increase and diversify the number of talented STEM majors who go on to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in a broad range of scientific endeavors, either by entering the STEM workforce or a STEM-related graduate program upon graduation. Funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Rhodes IMPACT Scholars will consist of a select cohort of first-year students who intend to major in one of the following STEM disciplines: biochemistry, biology, biomathematics, chemistry, computer science, environmental science, mathematics, neuroscience, and physics.
What benefits will I receive as an IMPACT STEM Scholar?
- A scholarship of $5,500 per year
- Your documented need (as determined by the FAFSA) met through institutional, state, and/or federal funding, which may include subsidized loans and student employment.
- Opportunity to attend regular social gatherings with STEM faculty and professionals and receive one-on-one faculty advising and mentoring by a member of the STEM faculty.
- Enrollment in an exclusive STEM focused First-Year Seminar taught by STEM faculty.
- Enrollment in an exclusive innovative computational thinking course that builds computational skills useful for a 21st century STEM career.
- Invitation to bimonthly luncheons with STEM faculty as well as a variety of learning activities on and off campus.
- Engagement in various STEM opportunities, including computationally focused faculty-student research, peer-mentoring, tutoring, and preferential residence at Rhodes College, as well as work-related internship opportunities with institutional industry partners.
How do I qualify?
Requirements for the IMPACT STEM Scholarship:
- Application for admission to Rhodes submitted by January 15
- IMPACT STEM Scholar Application due by priority deadline of January 1 at 5:00 p.m.
- A letter of recommendation from a STEM teacher in high school (may include the letter of recommendation already submitted as part of your Common Application)
- CSS PROFILE and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted by January 1
- SAT or ACT scores that are competitive for admission
- A high school record that is competitive for admission
- Intent to major in one of the following: biochemistry, biology, biomathematics, chemistry, computer science, environmental science, mathematics, neuroscience, and physics
*IMPACT STEM Scholar applications may still be submitted after the deadline; however, full consideration is guaranteed to those applications received by the January 1st deadline.
How do I apply?
Use your Rhodes College application portal email address and password to access the IMPACT STEM application.