The college atmosphere and level of academic work require that students be rising high school juniors or seniors. In other words, high school student applicants, typically 16-18 years old, must have completed their sophomore year and must not have begun college by the time the annual Institute session begins in June.
Applicants must submit four documents to be considered for admission to the Institute. There is no application fee.
- An online application.
- Most recent high school transcript including grades and standardized test scores. You may submit an unofficial copy of your transcript initially with your online application, but an official copy is required by June 1.
- A teacher recommendation.
- A 3-5 page, double-spaced academic writing sample: Applicants should upload a paper written for a recent class. If you are requesting admission to a fiction or poetry course, you may also include creative writing samples.
Rhodes College welcomes applications from all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, religion, disability or national and ethnic origin in its admissions policies, loan programs, or other college educational programs, policies and activities.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, usually within two weeks of completion, until the program is full or April 15, whichever comes first.
- Financial aid applicants are encouraged to apply by March 1 to receive priority access to aid.
Tuition is $2000 and covers all program costs:
- Use of campus facilities
- Evening seminars
- Social events
Field trips are optional and, where applicable, students must pay their own entry fee (usually $10-15). Transportation is provided by the Institute.
Children of alumni are eligible for our Legacy Scholarship of $200. Families with two or more children attending the Institute will receive a 10% discount for each.
The Institute and Rhodes College are committed to socioeconomic diversity and make every effort to offer tuition support to applicants with a demonstrated need for financial assistance. Applicants may request financial aid when completing the Institute application online and should upload a copy of the family's prior year tax return (1040), along with all W-2s, 1099s, and Schedules C, D, E.