Summer 2019 Application Deadline Extended to April 1, 2019
-Anne Elizabeth Garrard, 2018 cohort
We welcome applications from students who meet our admissions criteria and are passionate about working for educational justice in Memphis and in our region.
We strive to accept students who affirm our strong commitments to diversity, inclusion, and social justice. African American, LatinX, and first-generation students who meet the admissions requirements are especially encouraged to apply.
Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree or will be awarded a bachelor’s degree prior to entering the program will need to formally apply to the program online, submit all required application materials and meet the program’s admission criteria (which are aligned with CAEP and TN state standards) to be admitted into the program.
The application for the summer 2019 admission cycle is open for new submissions. Admission decisions for the M.A. in Urban Education program are rendered on a rolling basis.
Successful applicants will be required to have a bachelor’s degree in the content area they wish to teach (for secondary candidates) or in a liberal arts or science field (for elementary candidates). It is preferred that applicants have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher. Applicants must submit:
- A completed application
- An entrance essay (500 to 700 words) that focuses on one’s skills, dispositions, knowledge of culturally relevant pedagogies, and commitments to working with students in urban schools.
- College transcript(s) showing all coursework completed to date. Official undergraduate transcripts will be required prior to program start date.
- Two letters of recommendation from college faculty who have worked closely with the applicant.
- Qualifying PRAXIS I (Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators) and subject area PRAXIS scores (Praxis® Subject Assessments) as required. See Licensure Pathways.
- Passing scores are determined by the Tennessee Board of Education and can be found on the ETS Tennessee requirements webpage.
Priority Application Deadline: December 15, 2018
Applicants will receive notification and preferential scholarship review by January 18, 2019
Regular Application Deadline: Extended to April 1, 2019
Enrollment Conformation Deadline: May 1, 2019
All newly admitted students must submit an official transcript from their institution displaying degree conferral to the Admission Office no later than one week prior to the start of the summer term in which a student plans to matriculate.
Conditional admission to the Master of Arts in Urban Education program will be offered to students who are academically admissible based on their academic record and other admission requirements except for qualifying PRAXIS I (Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators) and subject area PRAXIS scores (Praxis® Subject Assessments).
Admission to the master’s degree program is conditional based upon submitting qualifying PRAXIS I (Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators) and subject area PRAXIS scores (Praxis® Subject Assessments). To be fully admitted, PRAXIS score reports must be received no later than one week prior to the start date of the summer term in which a student plans to matriculate. Failure to submit required PRAXIS test scores by the requested date will prohibit students from fully matriculating into the program.