Rhodes Student Travel Fund
The Rhodes Student Travel Fund provides support for students to present their research or creative activity at professional meetings and also allows students to engage with a broader professional community. This fund gives students the opportunity to communicate their results to a professional audience and to experience networking with professionals in their discipline and students with similar interests.
Who may apply?
- The student must be currently enrolled or between semesters of current enrollment and in good academic standing at the time of application for funds and at the time of the conference.
- Normally, a student may receive support from the Rhodes Student Travel Fund only once per academic year (July 1 to June 30) and may only receive a total of $1600.00 in a four-year period.
What type of travel is supported?
- A student may apply for travel funds to present his or her research or creative activity at a professional conference. The work being presented must have been done in a Rhodes-sponsored program or under the direct supervision of a Rhodes faculty or staff member.
- A student may also apply for travel funds in order to engage with the broader professional community. Work of this nature may include attending an exhibition, film festival, music conference, or professional conference, or it may involve working with an outside artist. In such cases, the student′s attendance must be endorsed by a faculty member.
- Funds cover transportation (airfare or fuel reimbursement for automobile travel) to and from the conference venue, lodging for days of conference attendance (including arrival and departure days), and conference registration fees. Food is not covered with these funds, and extra days before or after the conference dates are not covered.
- The maximum amount that can be received per meeting per student is $800, but funds cover only the cost of actual travel expenses.
- Students are expected to find the lowest available airfare and purchase airline tickets at least 21 days in advance of travel. Students should also arrange to share hotel rooms with any other Rhodes students of the same sex who are attending the same conference.
How do I apply and receive funds?
- Generally, the student must fill out the Travel Fund Request Form (MS Excel file) and email it to Dr. Scott Garner (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least six weeks prior to the proposed travel. You will be notified of approval as soon as possible.
- The student may apply for funds after an abstract has been submitted for a meeting, but before notification of abstract acceptance. If the abstract is subsequently rejected, approval for travel will be retracted.
- When the travel has been completed, the student must submit all receipts with a Travel Reimbursement Form (MS Excel 2003 file) to Ms. Judy Pierce, room 300 Palmer Hall (x3169). These must be submitted no later than three weeks after the conference. Students who need to pay certain charges before attending the conference should contact Ms. Judy Pierce to make arrangements.
- Students receiving support from the Rhodes Student Travel Fund in order to allow them to present their own original work must also submit their work for presentation at the Rhodes Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Symposium (URCAS) following their conference attendance.
For questions regarding the student travel fund, please contact Dr. Scott Garner (x3201, email@example.com).