Making the Connection
Publication Date: 8/22/2008
During “Welcome Week” at Rhodes, incoming students can get an up-close and personal look at their new home city through the Memphis Connection tour. The “guides” are Rhodes faculty whose academic interests relate directly to the locations they will visit along the way.
“The Memphis Connection tour has a direct connection to what Rhodes is all about,” says Rhodes President William Troutt. “Rhodes aspires to graduate students with a lifelong passion for learning, a compassion for others, and the ability to translate academic study and personal concern into effective leadership and action within their communities and around the world.
“This process begins with the Memphis Connection tour and continues throughout a student’s four years at the college,” Troutt continues. “We hope seeing the vast range of resources available within the City of Memphis will inspire our students to engage in some way as they pursue their academic studies at Rhodes.”
“I took the Arts in Memphis tour when I arrived at Rhodes during ‘Welcome Week,’ says Kristine Overacre, now a rising senior. “ I was able to meet art historians, professors and gallery owners and as a result of this experience I’m minoring in art history. Since the tour I have continued to frequent many of the local museums, especially the Brooks.”
Some of this year’s destinations include:
- A tour of the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art with its current exhibition of prints and paintings by Andy Warhol
- An introduction of Memphis′ entrepreneurial innovations
- The Rhodes-St. Jude Connection that introduces opportunities for research and volunteer work at one of the world’s premier centers for research and treatment of catastrophic diseases in children
- A tour of the National Civil Rights Museum
- An exploration of Memphis’ Hispanic heritage
“We include in the mix, the culinary traditions that have made the city famous,” says Marcus Langford, Director of New Student Programs. “No tour of Memphis would be complete without tasting authentic Memphis barbecue. That’s included too.”