Global ′Hamlet′s symposium
Friday, October 5, 2012
A free public symposium that explored adaptations and appropriations of Hamlet across the globe, in Arab, British, Chinese, and South African contexts. Media: poster (PDF); lobby placard (PDF); Smart City Memphis; Memphis Flyer; WKNO interview.
Reception with performance by Opera Memphis
• "The Banquet" (aka Legend of the Black Scorpion, dir. FENG Xiaogang, China, 2006), a Kung Fu adaptation, was screened Thursday, October 4, 7:30pm, Blount Auditorium (Buckman Hall -- #67 on campus map)
• The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) was performed by the Tennessee Shakespeare Company (September 20-October 7, Poplar Pike Playhouse); tickets for the October 5 performance subsidized for members of the Rhodes community by CODA: The Center for Outreach in the Development of the Arts
• The Poet′s Heart, the Composer′s Pen: Music set to writings of great poets was performed by Rhodes Singers, Chamber Singers, Women′s Chorus and Men′s Chorus (Sunday, October 21, 3:30pm, St. Anne Catholic Church)
• Ann Thompson on the first and second quartos of Hamlet
• "Global Shakespeares" Video & Performance Archive
• "Globe to Globe" festival at Shakespeare′s Globe
• HyperHamlet, a database of references to Shakespeare′s play
• The Hamlet Zone: Reworking "Hamlet" for European Cultures, from the conference "Hamlet in Europe"
• Parallel text versions of Q1/Q2/Folio Hamlets
• World Shakespeare Project (Emory University)