Majors, Minors & Requirements
Requirements for a Major in Religious Studies
A total of thirty-six (36) credits as follows:
- Religious Studies 255, 256; 251, 253 or 258.
- One 200-level course in Bible (260, 270-277; 280-286).
- One 200-level course in theology and ethics (211, 220, 232, 233).
- Three 300-level courses. (Religious Studies 399, the Junior Honors Tutorial, does not count towards fulfilling this requirement.)
- Religious Studies 485 (Religious Studies 256 and at least one 300-level course must be completed prior to taking Religious Studies 485.)
Note: The Health Equity Internships (Religious Studies 460) may count toward fulfilling the third requirement for the Religious Studies major.
Requirements for a Minor in Religious Studies
A total of twenty (20) credits as follows:
- Religious Studies 101 and 102 or Humanities 101 and 102.
- Two 200-level courses in different areas of Religious Studies (biblical studies, theology and ethics, history of religions). Certain courses (e.g., Humanities 201 or GRS 250) can fulfill this requirement when cross-listed as Religious Studies courses.
- One 300-level Religious Studies seminar in any area.
Note: The Health Equity Internships (Religious Studies 460) may count toward fulfilling the second requirement for the Religious Studies minor.
Permission of the instructor is required for students who wish to enroll in a 200-level course prior to completing the RELS 101 and 102 sequence.
Honors in Religious Studies
Honors research in Religious Studies is established by consultation between the student and the department. In addition to the courses required for a major, the honors program requires the one-hour junior honors tutorial, Religious Studies 399, and the senior honors tutorials, Religious Studies 495-496, in which the student will be guided in the research and writing of an honors paper.