Tips for Parents
Things parents should do before the first day of classes:
- Speak positively about this new phase in your student’s life.
- Discuss appropriate use of money, especially credit cards.
- Explain what kind of behavior you expect in various aspects of college life (classes, dorm life, parties, etc.)
- Give some lessons in doing laundry, ironing and cooking.
- Encourage your student to explore possible extra-curricular activities and clubs he/she might enjoy.
- Encourage your student to decorate his/her room so it reflects his/her personality and can be a place of comfort.
- Plan your next visit to campus.
- Plan care packages.
- Make sure you let your student know how proud you are of him/her.