Here are some tips to help you and your student stay on top of the process and its many deadlines:
- Create a timeline. Refer to our college planning timeline for a schedule of activities recommended for your student’s junior and senior years.
- Make a calendar. Know the institution’s application and financial aid deadlines and when to expect responses from admissions.
- Compile a checklist. Know what items are required in the application process (transcripts, recommendations, application supplements) and how to submit them.
- Maintain an address book. Gather contact information for the institution, as well as its identifying codes (for the SAT, ACT and FAFSA).
- Keep up with applications. Make copies of paper application that are submitted by mail, and check the status of applications submitted online. Confirm with colleges that applications are complete.