It’s National Chemistry Week
Publication Date: 10/18/2010
This is National Chemistry Week. Congratulations to the Rhodes student chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS) for receiving an Honorable Mention Award for activities conducted during the 2009-10 academic year.
Some of the activities included:
- Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream Social to encourage students to join ACS
- Mole Day, which was celebrated with chemistry-related games, food and prizes to foster an awareness about chemistry (mole is a basic measuring unit in chemistry)
- Rites to Play Chemistry “Magic Show” where students performed different chemistry demonstrations for children from the Memphis community
- Salts & S’mores Night where ACS members used different salts to change the color of fire while feasting on s’mores
- Natural Science Picnic at the end of the year with the physics, biology and math departments
Dr. Mauricio Cafiero is faculty adviser of the chapter. “Professor Cafiero’s efforts certainly represent the best in undergraduate science education and mentoring around the country,” writes Dr. Joseph Francisco, ACS president.
Niti Yogesh ’12 is the 2010-2011 president of the student chapter. For this year’s chemistry week, the chapter will host Mole Day, again offering chemistry-related games.
Learn more about chemistry at Rhodes.