A native of Pennsylvania Dutch country, David Sick earned his high school diploma from the public school district in Lancaster, PA. He first encountered the Greeks and Romans as a student of Thomas Falkner and Vivian Holliday at the College of Wooster in Wooster, OH. He earned the M.A. and Ph.D. in classics from the Department of Classical and Near Eastern Studies at the University of Minnesota. The diversity of offerings of that department allowed him to study both ancient Indian and Iranian languages in addition to Latin and Greek, and, as a result, much of his research tends to be of a comparative nature. He wrote his dissertation, "Cattle, Sacrifice, and the Sun: a Mythic Cycle in Greece, Iran, and India," under the guidance of William Malandra and Philip Sellew. The article, "When Socrates met the Buddha: Greek and Indian Dialectic in Hellenistic Bactria and India," examines the Greek inscriptions of the Buddhist King Aśoka. The latter piece was a finalist for the Mary Boyce Award given annually by the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland.
Sick has taught a variety of courses on the languages and cultures of ancient Greece and Rome, including all three courses in the SEARCH sequence. (He served as director of that program from 2005-08.) He advocates the oral production of Latin as a pedagogical method and offers an automatic A to any student who raises a child whose first language is Latin.
He has served as the adviser to the ΒΨ chapter of ΗΣΦ, the national honor society for Greek and Roman studies, since his arrival at Rhodes in 1997. He was a trustee for the national society from 2005-2011.
ἡ φιλοσοφία βίου ὁ κυβερνήτης.
B.A., College of Wooster (Phi Beta Kappa)
M.A. and Ph.D., University of Minnesota
- Greek 265 - TOPICS IN GREEK LITERATURE
- Greek 395 - HELLENISTIC LITERATURE
- Greek and Roman Studies 212 - LITERATURE OF THE ROMAN WORLD
- Greek and Roman Studies 250 - RELIG IN ANCIENT GREECE/ROME
- Greek and Roman Studies 255 - MYTH IN ANCIENT GREECE/ROME
- Greek and Roman Studies 475 - SENIOR TUTORIAL
- Greek and Roman Studies 495 - HONORS TUTORIAL
- Greek and Roman Studies 496 - HONORS TUTORIAL
- Humanities 101 - SEARCH:VALUES IN HIST & RELIG
- Humanities 101 - SEARCH:VALUES IN HST&REL
- Humanities 102 - SEARCH:VALUES IN HIST & RELIG
- Humanities 102 - SEARCH:VALUES IN HST&REL
- Latin 101 - ELEMENTARY LATIN
- Latin 201 - INTERMEDIATE LATIN
- Latin 202 - LATIN RHETORIC
- Latin 265 - TOPICS IN LATIN LITERATURE
- Latin 393 - LITERATURE OF NERONIAN PERIOD
- Latin 394 - LITERATURE OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
- Latin 394 - ROMAN LITERATURE, 70-180 CE
- Latin 395 - LITERATURE FROM LATE ANTIQUITY
- Latin 415 - TUTORIAL ASSISTANTSHIP