Make Time for Fun and Relaxation
Beyond a take-charge approach and a positive attitude, you can reduce stress in your life by nurturing yourself. If you regularly make time for fun and relaxation, you’ll be in a better place to handle life’s stressors when they inevitably come.
Healthy ways to relax and recharge include:
- Going for a walk.
- Spending time in nature.
- Calling a good friend.
- Sweating out tension with a good workout.
- Writing in your journal.
- Taking a long bath.
- Lighting scented candles.
- Savoring a warm cup of coffee or tea.
- Playing with a pet.
- Working in your garden.
- Getting a massage.
- Curling up with a good book.
- Listening to music.
- Watching a comedy.
Don’t get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life that you forget to take care of your own needs. Nurturing yourself is a necessity, not a luxury.
- Set aside relaxation time. Include rest and relaxation in your daily schedule. Don’t allow other obligations to encroach. This is your time to take a break from all responsibilities and recharge your batteries.
- Connect with others. Spend time with positive people who enhance your life. A strong support system will buffer you from the negative effects of stress.
- Do something you enjoy every day. Make time for leisure activities that bring you joy, whether it be stargazing, playing the piano, or working on your bike.
- Keep your sense of humor. This includes the ability to laugh at yourself. The act of laughing helps your body fight stress in a number of ways.