What is Abuse?
Often people who are being abused do not realize it. While, abusers do not see themselves as being abusive. Domestic violence can be physical, psychological, emotional, or sexual abuse. Domestic violence is one person in a relationship using a pattern of behaviors to control the other. Domestic abuse can happen in any type of relationship at any stage.
If your partner repeatedly uses one or more of the following to control you, then you may habe been abused. Remember, threatened or actual physical violence may be illegal.
- pushing, hitting, slapping, choking, kicking, or biting
- threatening you, your children, other family members or pets
- threatening suicide to get you to do something
- using or threatening to use a weapon against you
- keeping or taking your paycheck
- puts you down or makes you feel bad
- forcing you to have sex or to do sexual acts you do not want or like
- keeping you from seeing your friends, family or from going to work