Student Health Center and Insurance


Students may be treated for most ordinary illnesses at the Moore Moore Student Health Center on campus. The College retains Internal Medicine residents, along with their attending physicians, three hours per day, Monday through Friday, to provide health care to students. In instances when specialists are needed or if a physician is not available when a serious need arises, the student is referred off campus. All charges of a medical referral are obligations of the student. On-campus visits to the physician, and any laboratory or other fees that relate to on campus visits, will be billed to the student’s health insurance. All co-pays, deductibles, and any fees not paid by insurance are the financial responsibility of the student.

Medical emergencies are handled 24 hours a day with referral to Baptist Minor Medical Center or University of Tennessee Bowld Hospital, both a short distance away. When notified, the appropriate college officials will coordinate the emergency room visit and when necessary make arrangements for hospitalization.
When acute, life threatening, emotional disorders are brought to their attention, the College nurse or College counselor will refer the student to a psychiatrist for emergency care. The parents then will be notified and will take responsibility from that point. In emergency situations, if the parents cannot be reached, the Dean of Students may make a referral for an emergency psychiatric evaluation, including hospitalization if necessary. The parents will be notified as soon as possible and will assume responsibility. In the event of a severely debilitating or life threatening chronic emotional disorder, the parents will be notified, and they will then assume responsibility for the student’s treatment.
A complete medical examination is required of all new or transfer students. The results of the examination, recorded on a health form provided by the College, must be on file in the Student Health Center before registration along with a copy (front and back) of the insurance card. Failure to provide the requested information may result in not being permitted to register for classes and not being provided medical services until the information has been received. Housing assignments will not be made for new and transfer students until the information has been received.

The College requires all students to have a minimum of accident, sickness and hospitalization insurance coverage. Students may be covered under a family policy, a private carrier, or may enroll in an insurance policy negotiated by the College. Insurance coverage must continue as long as the student is enrolled. Proof of insurance coverage is required for registration for classes. It is the parents’ and student’s responsibility to verify with the insurance carrier the availability of coverage for health care in the Memphis area. If the student has a prescription card, check this coverage as well.

A complete record of the student’s immunization history is a required portion on the health form provided by the College. All immunizations must be up-to-date before enrollment and moving into the residence halls. Students must show proof of the following immunizations: tetanus-diphtheria, primary series and booster within the last ten years, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, varicella and mantoux tuberculosis. Additionally, the College recommends, but does not require, that students be immunized against Hepatitis B and meningitis.

In effect April 26, 2004.
Dean of Students.