Safe Zones serve as a source of support and information, free of judgment and hostility. They display the Safe Zone logo to indicate that they have completed Safe Zone training and have signed a contract expressing their commitment to Safe Zone policies and procedures. Safe Zones are also expected to challenge assumptions and prejudices related to sexual orientation and gender and to address heterosexist comments or behaviors in an educational and informative manner.
Goals of the Safe Zone Program:
- To increase the campus community’s understanding and awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and questioning/queer (LGBTIQ) issues
- To provide a greater sense of safety for the LGBTIQ student community
- To offer information to straight allies of LGBTIQ people.
- To act as a resource for information related to combating homophobia, heterosexism, transphobia and other LGBTIQ misinformation and misconceptions
Safe Zones at Rhodes:
- Between 5-7 Safe Zone training sessions facilitated by the Campus Counseling Center take place during each school year
- Safe Zones include faculty and staff members and students who participate in such organizations as Residence Life, the Peer Advocate Center and the Gay-Straight Alliance
- As of 2013-2014 our Active Safe Zones include: 84 faculty, 75 staff members and 136 students
- Total of 478 Safe Zones Trained
- In addition to being allies for individual LGBTIQ students, Safe Zone participants attend a series of Brown Bag Lunch sessions throughout the school year to foster discussion around issues such as being transgender in college, coming out to friends, family and parents, and dealing with homophobia and heterosexism on campus
- Memphis Gay & Lesbian Community Center
- Human Rights Campaign
- Support for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Transgendered People - PFLAG
- Support for Family and Friends of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered People - PFLAG
- Transgenderism & Gender Identity - PFLAG
Do you have questions about the Rhodes Safe Zone program? Contact Pam Detrie (email@example.com) for more information!