Property and Liability Insurance

Despite students’ best efforts to safeguard their property, it is still possible for it to be lost, stolen or damaged when traveling or living abroad. As Rhodes does not insure students’ property while they are overseas, all student participants are urged to purchase property insurance for the entire duration of their stay abroad. Students should investigate their parents’ homeowner’s insurance to verify if all the items to be brought on the trip will be covered by their policy. It is recommended that all valuable items (e.g., laptop computers) be insured.

Trip Cancellation Insurance

Similarly, the Buckman Center recommends that students consider trip cancellation insurance.  Trip cancellation insurance is effective in the case of a sudden illness or injury that necessitates canceling or interrupting a trip.  Most policies also provide coverage due to a wide variety of unforeseen events.

Accident and Sickness Insurance

Health insurance is an important component of study abroad. Students participating on Rhodes programs and any of Rhodes eight bilateral exchange programs are required to be covered by a comprehensive international insurance plan mandated by Rhodes. HTH Worldwide handles claims in various languages and from medical providers around the world. A schedule of benefits can be obtained from the Buckman Center for International Education.

If your child is participating in a non-Rhodes program, please check with the program provider to determine if insurance is provided. If it is not, you must secure insurance independently that will provide adequate health coverage outside the United States, including medical emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains.

The following major carriers provide coverage specifically designed for international student travel:

HTH Worldwide

Wallach & Co.

The Lewer Agency


Questions to Consider When Reviewing Insurance Policies

  1. Will the plan cover hospitalization for accidents and illnesses for the entire period while I’m abroad?
  2. Does the policy provide coverage in all countries to be visited?
  3. Is there a deductible? If yes, how much?
  4. Is there a dollar limit to the amount of coverage provided?
  5. What are the procedures for filing a claim for medical expenses abroad? Do I need to pay for expenses and then submit receipts to the insurance company for reimbursement? (Make sure that you get full information from your policy about how to arrange for routine treatment, medical emergency procedures, and what is required to pay for or be reimbursed for a claim. Many overseas health providers will not process American insurance claims and will expect payment at the time of treatment so students should have access to a minimum of $400 (either by credit card or traveler’s checks held in reserve for emergencies) in the event that medical treatment is required abroad. Be sure to obtain receipts, information, and signatures needed by your insurance company to file for reimbursement).
  6. Will I be required to pay cash in the currency of the host country and seek reimbursement later? What if I don’t have enough money to pay cash up front?
  7. What do I use as proof of international medical coverage (if I need to use the insurance or if the host government requires documentation)?
  8. If I am not a U.S. Citizen, will I be covered by your plan? (In some instances international students have had to arrange for coverage with a company in their home country)
  9. Will this insurance cover me in the U.S. for the insured semester if I decide, for medical or other reasons, to return before the end of the program? (If a student has a serious accident or illness abroad, most usually he or she will return to the U.S. for further care; it is therefore important the student carry coverage that applies not only abroad, but in the U.S. during the study abroad period.)
  10. Does the policy exclude injuries sustained from terrorism and/or acts of war? 
  11. Does it include coverage for medical evacuation/repatriation?
  12. Does the insurance company require claims to be submitted in U.S. dollars?
  13. What kind of financial and medical documentation will be required, and is such documentation readily available in the host country?