Renewing Your Visa


Renewing your F-1 or J-1 student visa should not be an obstacle for a student who has maintained valid F or J status during their time in the United States.

All applicants applying for a renewal visa must bring to the consular interview:

  • A passport valid for at least six months
  • An Application Form DS-156, together with a Form DS-158
  • A Receipt for the visa processing fee
  • A valid I-20 or DS-2019 that has been endorsed by a school official within the past 6 months

All applicants applying for a visa renewal should be prepared to submit:

  • An official transcript showing your grades from any school in which you have been enrolled (a Rhodes transcript can be requested from the Registrar′s Office)
  • Financial documents from you or your sponsor, showing your ability to cover the cost of your schooling. Examples are recent bank statements, an assistantship award letter, or scholarship letter
  • Evidence that demonstrates significant ties to your home country. Examples could be documents of family members or a job awaiting you when you return, property ownership, or other activity that would require you to return home after your studies

If you have questions that need to be answered while you are at home, please contact the Buckman Center.