W. F. Hopkins1848-1849, Masonic University of Tennessee
In 1848, when the College doors opened for the first time as Masonic University of Tennessee, Reverend W. F. Hopkins was the president. The faculty included Reverend. Hopkins as Professor of Mathematics and Natural Science, Isadore Guillet, Professor of Ancient and Modern Languages, and Reverend A. B. Russell, Adjunct Professor of Ancient Languages and Principal of the Preparatory Department. At a called meeting of the faculty held on Saturday, May 26, 1849 in the Clarksville Masonic Hall, Reverend Hopkins announced his intention to resign.
At the next meeting of the faculty, Reverend Hopkins was thanked for laying a strong foundation for the new College and the students.