Reading Room Policies
To maintain the integrity and usefulness of the College Archives, the following policies have been established for use of archival material and the reading room:
- Materials must remain within the reading room.
- The Archives may only be used when staff is present.
- Only note paper, pencils, laptop computers and reference materials may be used in the reading room. (Brief cases, backpacks, coats, and other items must be left in the designated area. The Archives reserves the right to inspect all research materials and personal articles before a researcher leaves the reading room. )
- Smoking, eating, and drinking (including water bottles) are not permitted in the reading room.
- Only pencils may be used when working with archival materials.
- Researchers will be allowed access to one archival box or folder at a time.
- The user must maintain the existing order of records. Return all materials to the Archivist when you are finished.
- The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, copyright, and literary property rights when quoting or publishing archival materials.
- Materials are photocopied or scanned at the discretion of the Archivist.
- All materials must be handled with care; the surface of photographic prints should never be touched without cotton gloves that will be provided. Materials must never be marked or folded.
- The existing filing order must be maintained. If a filing error is suspected, users should report the error to the Archivist and not rearrange any material.
- Because of their fragility or content, some materials are restricted in their use. Some college records are closed for twenty years from the date of creation. Exceptions to this policy must be granted in writing from the current creating office.
- Bound student honors papers created between 1947 and 2007 are not permitted to be copied in their entirety. The title and content pages and bibliography may be photocopied. Since 2008, honors papers have been published in DLynx.
EEGates October 2012