Microform is a format for storing documents that have been photographed or filmed which is frequently used for periodicals. Microforms are reduced reproductions of the original and must be read by using a reader/printer.
Barret Library has two microformats located in the Microforms area in the Information Commons on the first floor:
Microfiche: Rectangle of plastic film containing information in very small type. Microfiche is located in alphabetical order by title in the white cabinets inside the microform room.
Microfilm: Reel of plastic film containing information in very small type. Microfilm is stored in alphabetical order by title outside of the microforms room in the white cabinets
Power Switch - Turn on the power by flipping the switch on the right side of the machine.
1. If the microfiche reading drawer is extended and in place to read a microfiche, disengage drawer by pulling it towards you, sliding the drawer to the right and then pushing it away from you until it locks and the arrows line up.
2. Turn film advance knob to "Off". The knob is off when the line on it points vertically.
3. The film size should be set to 35mm.
4. The film threader should be in the open position. As shown below:
5. Place film spool on axle as shown above.
6. Feed film into green threader.
7. Feed film 3-4" past glass plates.
8. Close the film threader.
9. Press the "Load" button. The reader/printer should then load the film.
Note: If the machine does not load the microfilm onto the take up spool, then the film has either been threaded too far or not far enough between the glass.
10. Turn the film advance knob to the right to advance the film.
11. The focus knob and the enlarge knob are both located above the lens.
1. Power Switch - Turn on the power by flipping the switch on the right side of the machine.
2. Remove film spool (if any).
3. If film threader is open, then close the film threader.
4. Turn film advance knob to "Off". The knob is off when the line on it points vertically.
5. If the microfiche drawer is disengaged (tucked away next to the film advance knob), engage it by pulling it towards you and then sliding it to the left.
6. Pull the microfiche drawer toward you until the top glass rises.
7. Place fiche on the bottom glass plate. The header should be facing away from you and the words face down on the glass.
8. Re- engage the microfiche drawer by pushing the drawer away from you until the glass descends.
9. The focus knob and the enlarge knob are both located above the lens.
Making a Print
1. Locate the text that is to be printed within the rectangle outlined on the screen.
2. Insert coin in coin op. Cost to print is 10¢ per page and the coin op only uses dimes.
3. Press the green “Print” key.