The following alphabetical listing of Rhodes buildings includes functions of these facilities and the names of those who made the buildings possible. Thirteen campus buildings and two permanent gateways are listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
The Alburty Swimming Complex, given through the generosity of the late E. A. (Bob) and Emily Beale Alburty, was dedicated May, 1977.
The Ashner Gateway* is a memorial to I. W. and Sallie Ashner, established by Mrs. Julius Goodman and Mrs. Ike Gronauer of Memphis.
Bailey Lane, the north campus drive between Snowden Street and Charles Place, was named in 1998 for Memphian Edgar H. Bailey, Rhodes life trustee, and his wife Ann Pridgen Bailey, Class of 1947, in grateful appreciation of their vision, generosity and devoted service to Rhodes.
The Paul Barret, Jr. Library is a state-of-the-art facility, made possible by a major gift from the Paul Barret, Jr. Trust. The Library opened during the summer of 2005. Paul Barret, Jr., a graduate of the class of 1946 who died in 1999, was the nephew of Mr. and Mrs. A.K. Burrow, who provided for the construction of the 1953 Burrow Library.
Bellingrath Residence Hall* was dedicated October 18, 1961, in memory of Dr. Walter D. Bellingrath, Mobile, Alabama, a long-time friend and benefactor of the College.
Blount Hall, a residence hall completed in 1986, was dedicated on October 17, 1996 in recognition of Carolyn and Wynton Malcolm Blount as distinguished leaders, benefactors and friends of Rhodes.
Boyle Court, provided by the employees of Boyle Investment Company in memory of Chairman Emeritus J. Bayard Boyle, Sr., was dedicated January 23, 1997. In 1998, as part of the 150th Anniversary celebration of Rhodes, a time capsule was buried in Boyle Court, to be opened in 2048.
The Thomas W. Briggs Student Center, provided through the generosity of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas W. Briggs of Memphis, augmented by gifts of parents and other friends, was dedicated May 2, 1966. It houses a bookstore, mailroom and offices. Extensive renovation of the building was completed in 1991. The Rhea Student Lounge, dedicated July 19, 1989, is a gift of Linda and S. Herbert Rhea. The James A. Matthews Lobby was dedicated April 7, 1997, in memory of the long-time friend of the College. In 2004, the mailroom and Rhea Lounge were renovated and relocated within the building.
The Bryan Campus Life Center, dedicated January 23, 1997, was given in honor of Catherine Wilkerson Bryan by her four children, John Henry Bryan, Jr., Caroline Bryan Harrell, family of Catherine Bryan Dill, George Wilkerson Bryan and by Bryan Foods of West Point, Mississippi, co-founded by her husband, the late John Henry Bryan, Sr. The Center encompasses a performance gymnasium, a three-court multiuse gymnasium, racquetball and squash courts, a state of the art fitness room, an indoor jogging track and accommodations for student social events, lectures and other campus occasions. Other activity areas include:
- The L. Palmer Brown Lynx Lair, a student recreation area housing the snack bar, billiards and other game rooms, TV viewing and lounge areas.
- The Brenda and Lester Crain Reception Hall provides elegant accommodations for campus social events and other special occasions.
- The Dunavant Tennis Complex, the gift of Dr. Tommie S. and William B. Dunavant, Jr., includes ten lighted courts and stadium seating built to NCAA National tournament standards.
- The William Neely Mallory Memorial Gymnasium is the site of Rhodes’ intercollegiate athletic events. It was dedicated December 10, 1954, in memory of Major William Neely Mallory, Memphis, who was killed in an airplane crash in Italy on February 19, 1945. Major Mallory became a member of the Board of Directors of Rhodes in 1937, and in 1938 became Treasurer of the College, which office he held at the time of his death.
- The McCallum Ballroom is named in honor of Virginia J. and Robert D. McCallum, Chair of Rhodes Board of Trustees from 1969 to 1981.
- The Ruth Sherman Hyde Gymnasium, made possible by gifts of the J. R. Hyde family, was dedicated March 17, 1971. It now houses three racquetball courts and an aerobics/dance studio.
- Crain Field, home of the Rhodes football and lacrosse teams, was recently renovated with state-of-the-art FieldTurf provided by a gift from Brenda and J. Lester Crain, Jr. ‘51. The field was dedicated in 2012 in honor of his father, J. Lester Crain, Sr. ‘29.
- Fargason Field, the original athletic playing fields on campus, was the gift to the College of about 15 acres of land owned by Mr. John T. Fargason and his sister Mrs. Mary Fargason Falls. Their generosity and name are now reflected in the collection of fields for varsity sports located to the north of the William Neely Mallory Gymnasium.
- Jerden Field for intramurals and club sports is named In honor of Jane and J.L. Jerden ’59.
- Solomon Field which serves as a practice field, was dedicated in 1994 in memory of the winning college football player and all-round outstanding athlete Craig R. Solomon ‘79.
- Stauffer Field, home of Rhodes varsity baseball team, was named in 1977 in honor of Frederic R. Stauffer, professor of physics for 26 years and college baseball coach for 10 years. Renovations completed by the 2009 season gave the College one of the finest baseball facilities in NCAA Division III.
- The Winston Wolfe Track and Field Complex was dedicated in 2010 in honor of Winston Wolfe, an entrepreneur, athlete, philanthropist, and loyal friend of Rhodes College.
Buckman Hall was named in honor of Mertie W. Buckman and the late Stanley J. Buckman and their family. It houses the departments of International Studies, Economics and Business Administration, Political Science, Language Laboratory, and the Wynton M. Blount Lecture Hall. The building features Daughdrill Tower, which honors President and Mrs. James H. Daughdrill, Jr. and was provided anonymously by an alumna-trustee of the College. The building was dedicated October 24, 1991.
Adrienne McMillan Burns Memorial Labyrinth, given in 2005 in memory of the Class of 1988 alumna.
Burrow Hall,* formerly the College library, was given through the generosity of the late Mr. and Mrs. A. K. Burrow, Memphis, and dedicated October 8, 1953. It was renovated in 1988 and again in 2008 when it reopened as the Burrow Center for Student Opportunity. Burrow Hall contains the Alburty Room, named in honor of Rhodes Trustee the late E. A. Alburty.
The Catherine Burrow Refectory named in honor of the late Mrs. A. K. Burrow, Memphis, is the College’s main dining facility. It encompasses:
- The Davis Room, named in honor of the late Thomas B. Davis of Memphis.
- The Hugh M. Neely Hall,* the original dining hall on campus, dedicated on November 13, 1928. It was provided through the generosity and affection of the late Mrs. Mary Sneed Neely as a memorial to her husband Hugh M. Neely, a heroic soldier and public-spirited citizen.
- The Margaret Ruffin Hyde Hall,* built in 1958 and dedicated in 1993 in honor of the late Dr. Margaret R. Hyde, alumna Class of 1934, benefactor and Trustee of the College.
- Rollow Hall, built in 1987, and dedicated on Oct 26, 2002, by Ann Rollow Ross ’52 in memory of her parents, John ’26 and Louise Mayo Rollow ’30, and her sister Lisa Rollow Justis ’55.
Renovations to Burrow Refectory, completed in 2012 provided 19,000 square feet of additional space. The expanded facility includes a spacious exhibition-style servery, three new private dining rooms, an elegant new dining hall, and:
- The Wilson Fireside Lounge, provided through the generosity of Becky and Spence Wilson.
The S. DeWitt Clough Hall, erected in memory of S. DeWitt Clough of Chicago, houses the Departments of Anthropology/Sociology and Psychology. The Clough- Hanson Gallery and the Department of Art are located in the Hugo H. Dixon Wing. Clough Hall was dedicated October 14, 1970.
Claire Markham Collins Meditation Garden, given 2005 by the family of Garnet J. Caldwell ’05 in memory of the Class of 1981 alumna.
Dan Davis Court was named in 2004 in memory of Rhodes benefactor and friend Dan W. Davis, 1923-2002. The court is bounded by Robb Hall, Catherine Burrow Refectory and Berthold S. Kennedy Hall.
James H. Daughdrill, Jr. Meditation Garden, dedicated April 28, 1999. Located to the south of Fisher Garden, the Daughdrill Meditation Garden is a gift of the students of Rhodes.
Diehl Court, dedicated on October 8, 1983, was provided by the Class of 1933 in gratitude to Charles E. Diehl, President 1917-1949, and to his devoted administrative assistant Erma Reese Solomon. The sculpture of President Diehl is by the artist Edwin Rust.
East Village, consisting of Buildings A and B, was opened in August 2001, and provides apartment-styled living areas for juniors and seniors. East Village includes a Lodge that provides space for recreation and meetings.
Ellett Residence Hall* was dedicated December 18, 1956, in memory of
Dr. E. C. Ellett, Memphis, an alumnus of Rhodes.
The Frazier Jelke Science Center, housing the Department of Biology, was dedicated October 19, 1968, in memory of Mr. Frazier Jelke of New York.
The Hubert F. Fisher Memorial Garden was provided in 1941 by Mrs. Hubert F. Fisher as a memorial to her husband, Congressman Fisher. The garden with its permanent stone stage is the scene of commencement exercises and other college functions.
Alfred C. Glassell Residence Hall was dedicated May 2, 1968, in memory of Alfred C. Glassell of Shreveport, Louisiana, an alumnus of Rhodes and a member of its Board of Trustees 1929-1938 and 1943-1958.
Gooch Hall,* erected in 1962, was dedicated on October 22, 1981, in memory of Boyce Alexander and Cecil Milton Gooch. The building adjoins Palmer Hall and the Richard Halliburton Memorial Tower and houses the Office of the President, and the Offices of Student Affairs and the Academic Deans. The first floor reception area contains cases for exhibits selected from the Jessie L. Clough Art Memorial for Teaching. A portion of the funds required for its construction was provided by the late S. DeWitt Clough and his wife, Rachel Clough, of Chicago.
The Richard Halliburton Memorial Tower,* provided by the late Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Halliburton, Memphis, parents of the distinguished world traveler and author, was dedicated October 17, 1962.
The Frank M. Harris Memorial Building,* provided by the generosity of the late Mrs. Nannie P. Harris, Memphis, as a perpetual memorial to her beloved son, Frank M. Harris, was dedicated June 6, 1938.
Hassell Hall, housing the Music Department, was a gift of the Hassell Family of Clifton, Tennessee, and other friends and alumni of Rhodes. It contains the Tuthill Performance Hall, dedicated in 2003 and named in memory of Burnet C. Tuthill, the College’s first Director of Music. The building was dedicated on April 27, 1984.
The Hunt Gateway* is a memorial to Captain William Ireys Hunt, M.D., Class of 1934. The gift of the First Presbyterian Church, Greenville, Mississippi, this memorial was dedicated on May 31, 1948.
Berthold S. Kennedy Hall,* erected in 1925, was remodeled in 1968 to house the Department of Chemistry. It was dedicated on October 19, 1968 in honor of Rhodes alumnus Dr. Berthold S. Kennedy, of Anna Maria, Florida.
Dorothy C. King Hall, formerly the national headquarters for Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, is named in honor of Rhodes’ long-time friend and benefactor and houses the Meeman Center for Lifelong Learning and the Office of Development.
The Edward B. LeMaster Memorial Gateway, a symbol of the close ties between the College and the city of Memphis, was dedicated in 1983 to the memory of the prominent Memphian who was instrumental in the College’s move to Memphis.
The McCoy Theatre, given by the McCoy Foundation, established by the late Harry B. McCoy, Jr., Memphis, in memory of his parents, Minetry and Harry McCoy, was dedicated on January 21, 1982.
The Moore Moore Infirmary,* made possible through a bequest of the late Dr. Moore Moore, Sr., beloved College Physician and Secretary of the Board of Directors from 1925 until his death June 28, 1957, was dedicated June 2, 1962, as a memorial to his wife, Ethel Shirley Moore.
Ohlendorf Hall, erected in 1968, was dedicated July 2, 1996, in honor of Rhodes Trustee Harold F. Ohlendorf, Class of 1931, and his wife Bruce in grateful appreciation of their service to the College. The building houses the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science and the Buckman Mathematics Library, dedicated October 19, 1968, the gift of the late Dr. Stanley Buckman and his associates at Buckman Laboratories, Inc.
Palmer Hall,* erected largely by contributions from the people of New Orleans in memory of Dr. Benjamin Morgan Palmer, for many years pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, New Orleans, was dedicated November 27, 1925. Palmer Hall is home to classrooms, administrative offices and the Hardie Auditorium. In 2010, after extensive renovation, Palmer became the home of all faculty who teach courses in languages and literatures.
Phillips Lane, the front entrance to the campus, was named in 1994 in honor of Weetie and Harry Phillips of Memphis and in grateful appreciation of their vision, generosity and devoted service to Rhodes.
The Peyton Nalle Rhodes Tower, erected in 1968, is named in honor of Rhodes Professor of Physics (1926-1949), President (1949-1965) and President Emeritus (1965). The building houses the Department of Physics and was dedicated on April 23, 1981.
The Physical Plant Building, erected in 1999, houses Physical Plant offices and the Purchasing Department. The Frances Falls Austin Conference Room and Office Complex, given in memory of his mother by Memphis business and civic leader Falls Austin, was dedicated in December, 2003.
Robb Residence Hall* was named in memory of Lt. Col. Albert Robb, attorney, who was a member of the Board of Directors of Stewart College at the time the Presbyterian Church assumed control of Montgomery Masonic College in 1855. In 1859, he donated the land on which the first residence for male students was erected in Clarksville, Tennessee, where Rhodes was located until 1925.
Robinson Hall, completed in 1985, also serves as one of the College’s primary summer conference residence facilities and contains space for 84 residents. It was dedicated on December 17, 1989, in memory of James D. Robinson, Memphis business leader, founder of Auto-Chlor, Inc.
The Rollow Avenue of Oaks, dedicated in 1976, were planted south of Palmer Hall as seedlings brought from the Clarksville campus by alumnus and college engineer John A. Rollow, class of 1926.
Spann Place, completed in 1987, was named in honor of the late Jeanette S. Spann, Class of 1930 and Honorary Trustee of the College. This complex comprises five townhouses for innovative student housing.
Stewart Residence Hall, formerly a faculty residence, is a student residence hall which was most recently renovated in 2001.
Thomas Lane, between Ashner Gateway and Kennedy Hall, was named in 1997 to honor Nancy and James A. Thomas III, class of 1962, in recognition of their generosity and service to Rhodes.
Margaret Townsend Residence Hall was dedicated June 3,1961, in honor of Margaret Huxtable Townsend, a member of the Rhodes faculty from 1918 to 1954, and who was Rhodes’ first Dean of Women, serving in that capacity from 1925 to 1952. A Conservatory for meetings and recreation was added in 2002 and is located in a courtyard formed by Townsend, Trezevant and Voorhies Halls.
Suzanne Trezevant Residence Hall, given by Edward H. Little in memory of his wife, Suzanne Trezevant Little, was dedicated on November 18, 1966.
Voorhies Residence Hall, provided through the generosity of the late Mrs. Emma Denie Voorhies, Memphis, was dedicated April 10, 1948.
Lee B. Wailes Court, bounded by Halliburton Tower, Robb Hall, White Hall and Ashner Gateway, is named in grateful recognition of the generosity of Lee B. Wailes, class of 1929, and was dedicated September 23, 1988.
West Village, Rhodes′ newest residence hall, was opened in August 2012. West Village houses 141 upper-class students in twenty-two deluxe suites.
Gordon White Residence Hall,* a memorial to Dr. Gordon White, established by his sister, the late Mrs. Lizzie Gordon White Hood, Nashville, Tennessee, was dedicated November 13, 1947.
The Williams Prayer Room, an intimate chapel in Voorhies Hall, was given in memory of John Whorton and Anna Fletcher Williams by their children Sallie P. and Susan Fletcher Williams. It was dedicated on April 10, 1948.
Anne Marie Caskey Williford Residence Hall, erected in 1969, was dedicated April 23, 1980, in memory of Anne Marie Williford, class of 1952, who was Dean of Women (1968-1975) and Dean of Students from July 1, 1975, until her death July 19, 1979.
* Listed on The National Register of Historic Places, the official Federal list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture.
PLEASE NOTE: This document reflects information as it was published in the 2013-14 Rhodes Catalogue. You may find more current information elsewhere on rhodes.edu.