Memphis and our connections to it are as much a part of the Rhodes education as any lab or lecture hall. Home to Fortune 500 companies such as FedEx and International Paper, and a major hub for biomedical research, distribution and industry, Memphis offers prestigious internships and research opportunities for students. The city′s independent spirit makes it fertile ground for arts and culture, non-profits, community service and do-it-yourself leaders of all kinds.
Life in Memphis
- The Beale Street Historic District, the Cooper-Young Entertainment District, and the South Main Arts District are all just minutes from campus.
- Hailed as the birthplace of both the blues and rock-and-roll, Memphis music is as diverse as our city. World-class entertainers play at clubs and concert venues year-round.
- Restaurants are almost as legendary as the Memphis music scene. Our students all have their favorites, for everything from downhome barbecue and burgers to fine dining and ethnic specialties.
- The city also boasts one of the top urban park systems in the US, covering 7,000 acres, and one of them, Overton Park, is right next to our Midtown campus (as is the famous Memphis Zoo).
- Memphis hosts year-round sports action, with the NBA Grizzlies, the Mississippi River Kings (ice hockey), and the Memphis Redbirds, the AAA affilate of the St. Louis Cardinals.