Admission and Tuition Information
The college atmosphere and level of academic work require that students be rising high school juniors or seniors. In other words, high school student applicants, typically 16-18 years old, must have completed their sophomore year and must not have begun college by the time the annual Institute session begins in June.
Applicants must submit four documents to be considered for admission to the Institute and these documents must be RECEIVED in our offices no later than March 1st for early decision and April 15th for regular decision:
- An application.
- Most recent high school transcript including grades and standardized test scores (submitted with the online application). You will need an electronic copy of your transcript (PDF or JPG).
- A teacher letter or teacher recommendation form.
- A 3-5 page, double-spaced academic writing sample: Applicants should upload a paper written for a recent class. If you are requesting admission to a fiction or poetry course, you may also include creative writing samples.
Completed applications, including teacher recommendation, transcript, and writing sample, are due in our offices no later than March 1st for early decision and April 15th for regular decision. There is no application fee. Accepted students must provide proof of health insurance before enrollment.
Rhodes College welcomes applications from all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, religion, disability or national and ethnic origin in its admissions policies, loan programs, or other college educational programs, policies and activities.
Tuition for the 2016 Summer Writing Institute is $1800.00 and covers all program costs:
- Creative or expository writing course
- Room accommodations
- Use of facilities (pool, gym, tennis courts)
- Evening seminars
- Social events
Field trips are optional and students must pay their own entry fee (usually $10-15). Transportation is provided by the Institute.
The Institute and Rhodes College makes every effort to offer tuition support to applicants with a demonstrated need for financial assistance. Applicants whose total family adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than $85,000 are eligible to apply for aid.
To request aid, applicants should submit the online Financial Aid Application. Need-based aid is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.